In 2017, Marseille-Provence will be the European Sport Capital. Each year, the European recognition of Sport “Capital” is given to cities of over 500,000 inhabitants who respect the ethics and the role of sport in improving the quality of life, physical and psychological health and its integration into the various social categories.
Marseille was officially designated EUROPEAN SPORT CAPITAL For 2017 on November 17, 2014 by ACES (European Sport Capital Association). This is a first for France and receiving this label, Marseille has a new opportunity to develop national and international attractiveness of its territory. Nine renowned ambassadors support it with, as captain, FABIEN GILOT, Olympic Champion, triple World Champion and double European Swimming Champion. The other ambassadors are:
– NATHALIE BENOIT, World Champion and Paraolympic Champion of skiff shoulder rowing;
– FRANCK CAMMAS, French navigator, winner of the Route du Rhum in 2010 and the Volvo Ocean Race in 2012;
– MARIE-PAULE GNABOUYOU, International Handball, Silver Medal at the World Championships in 2011;
– RICHARD MELILLO, former World Champion in Judo, teamleader of PACA Pole Hope of Judo;
– NATHALIE SIMON, former French Champion in windsurfing and a French television and radio show host;
– JEAN TIGANA, former International Football, European Champion in 1984 and soccer coach;
– JOSEPH MAHMOUD, former International athletic Silver Medalist at the 1984 Olympics;
– RICHARD VIRENQUE, cyclist ranked among the best climbers in the history of the “Tour de France,“ 7 times holder of the Mountain Polka Dot Jersey.
As part of a pedagogical and educational project, the Marseille schoolchildren have been working on a mascot project creation and the winners were the children of the Notre Dame Limit Jean Perrin School.
Support MPSPORT2017 via social networks! Or become a fan by sharing information and becoming a true relay. If you are a company, support a sport initiative.
In all cases, see you in 2017!
Live Tweet: Tweets de @mpsport2017